Individuals diagnosed with autism respond and interact with information in different ways. In some cases, individuals with autism may not be able to speak, may have self-stimulatory behaviors (such as hand flapping, vocal utterances, repetitive behaviors), may be aggressive or be self-injurious. Some individuals with Autism only have just a few of these traits listed below, while others may have more.
Some traits of autism could include:
- Scatter/splinter skills of abilities such as poor gross motor or fine motor skills and the ability to read at a very young age
- Oversensitive or under sensitive to pain
- Desire for the same daily schedule, toys, type of clothes or an insistent on “sameness”
- Repeating words, phrases in place of typical language or conversation (This is known as echolalia)
- Difficulty expressing needs – for instance, using pointing, gestures or tantrums instead of using words to express their needs
- Finding situations funny or laughing at times when it is inappropriate (i.e. laughing at a baby crying.)
- Activity is noticeably under active or over active
- Excessive or Frequent tantrums
- Can be aggressive or self injurious
- Prefers to be alone – may have social skills deficits
- Autistics can act deaf or be non responsive to verbal cues
- Odd play such as; spinning objects, or using toys for something besides there their intended purpose or using an odd attraction to an item that is inappropriate for age
- Non existent or poor eye contact
- Non responsive to typical teaching methods
- May respond negatively to crowds or not able to mix well with others
- Difficulty with holding a conversation
- May not like hugs, or to be cuddled.
- Sensitivity to loud noises, tags in clothes, coarse clothing, lights, and smells
- Frequently uses peripheral vision to track items (e.g., rolling car along countertop at eye-level)
- Self-limited diet - some children have a broader range at an earlier age but over time may start self-limiting their food selections. Self-limiting can also include food that must be all the same color, size, shape etc.